Glenwood History

1910 August
The Day Continuation School for Boys started by Dr Benjamin Narbeth in Russell Street. It was part of the Durban Technical Institute.

1912
The School and the Technical Institute moved to the current premises of the Technikon.

1914-1918
The First World War, during which 23 Old Boys lost their lives. This included Mr H.R. Blanksby who was a teacher at the School.

1916
The name Technical High School was adopted.

1923
The School was separated from the Technical Institute.

1934
Name changed to Glenwood High School. The ”Government Schools Hostel Durban” was opened.

1937
The school badge was introduced.

1939-1945
The Second World War, during which 81 Old Boys lost their lives. This included Mr T.L. Parry and Mr M.H. Tatham who were teachers at the School.

1951
The Memorial Swimming Bath was opened.

1960
The School celebrated its Golden Jubilee.

1965
The Schools had its only unbeaten 1st Rugby XV record : Played 15, won 15. 7 Members of the team made the Natal Schools’ team.

1976
The new school block overlooking the fields and the present school hall were completed.

1987
The School Museum is opened.

1988
The Memorial Bell Tower is erected.

1996
The new Media Centre is opened.

2000
The Mike Turrell Pavilion is opened.  Glenwood Celebrates its 90th anniversary.

2004
Extensions to Gibson House are completed.

2007
The R6.2m Hockey synthetic Turf at Dokkies is opened.

2008
Science Centre completed.

2009
Phase 2 of the Mathematics, Science and Engineering building starts.

THE SCHOOL HOUSES

BLANKSBY’S is named after a member of staff who died in the First World War.

Jack EARLY was one of the original 30 entrants in 1910. He died in the First World War.

Hugh KENNEDY and Arthur Basil McCABE overstated their ages in order to sign up for active service. (They were both sixteen.) They, too, lost their lives in the first World War.

GIBSON House (the Boarding Establishment) is named after Roy Gibson who was the first Glenwood boarder to be killed in action during World War II. Roy’s mother was the famous Perla Siiedle Gibson who was affectionately known to countless South African ex-servicemen as “The Lady in White”.

HEADMASTERS 1910 - Present

1910 - 1915  H E  Jones
1915 - 1919  H D  Sutherns
1920 - 1924  D Alexander
1924 - 1925  H S Costin (Acting)
1925 - 1928  E Snowdon
1929 - 1931  J Black
1931 - 1937  J Snow   
1937 - 1941  J W Hudson   
1941 - 1942  A C Martin   
1943 - 1947  D G Lang   
1947 - 1953  H Cheesmond   
1953 - 1963  J B Colam   
1964 - 1981  J F Dixon   
1982 - 1997  M J P Maher   
1998 - 1999  J C Doherty-Bigara   
1999 -           T M Kershaw