Mike Turrell Pavilion
The Memorial Swimming pool and Change Rooms were completed in 1947 as a living memorial to more than 150 Old Boys who had made the supreme sacrifice in WWI and WWII. By the late 1990s, the change rooms were in need of a serious upgrade.
In May 1999, the School community was shocked at the death of one of its staunchest allies, Mike Turrell, who suffered a fatal heart attack.
It was a fitting tribute to name the swimming pool change room development project “The Mike Turrell Pavilion” which encompassed all those aspects of the School that Mike held dear.
The project entailed the upgrading of the existing change-rooms overlooking the field and swimming pool. These change-rooms were as they were built in the early 1940s and were in dire need of repair. The first floor was built on top of the change-rooms and links the Memorial Bell Tower, the Hall and the Squash Courts with the Pavilion.
The building was completed in August 2000, the School’s birthday month. The Pavilion was opened by the Headmaster, Mr TM Kershaw and the Chairman of the Old Boys’ Association, Mr Mike Sjolander.
The building uniquely affords views of the fields (rugby and cricket), the pool (galas and water polo). It can be utilised as one room – or be subdivided into three. The pavilion is serviced by a kitchen, serving area and ablution facilities.
The Pavilion continues the School’s tradition of commemorating its Old Boys (the original change rooms were built to commemorate the fallen of two world wars), thus a fitting tribute to name the Pavilion after someone like Mike Turrell, who had the School at heart and was one of its most loyal sons.
Contact Ms Sharleen Retief on 031 2055241 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book the venue for private functions.